Friday, September 5, 2014

Perry Hill/Rasta Mountain

My last ride of my Vermont Trip was at this spot in Waterbury. You ride over the railroad tracks (an Amtrak Train whizzed by right before I headed in!)...
 and then you ride thru this tunnel that goes underneath the Interstate Highway.
 The only signage at this park is the kiosk at the bottom of a LOOOONNNGG slog up the green trail called Permission.
 I was lucky to catch the mid morning sun rays beaming thru the woods - it was beautiful.
Stupid me got up quite a ways when I realized I didn't have my helmet. So I climbed the steepest section twice!! Truth be told, it was brutal for me as it was 90 degrees plus and super humid as well.
So I probably hiked 70% percent of the long climb. Once you reach the trail intersections, it is not quite as steep but it is a relentless climb way up to the top.

This short video is not at the top (although I thought it was in my narration)

As the video states, I opted to take the Yellow Trail and it still continued up the mountain! Fortunately this was more typical singletrack with switchbacks and roots galore and the grade was not as relentlessly up (some short flat and downhill spots for a change).
You reach this clearing (the trail skirts the edge) which perhaps is the actual top of the mountain! Satellite View >
The way down the Yellow was awesome - well benched with artfully sculpted berms. It was a speedy scenic descent.
The section thru the pines was awesome!
Further down, the trail skirts the edges of small ravines - twisting and turning to follow the edges...
The whole ride only took an hour and ten minutes and probably the descent was a mere 20 minutes -- but twenty minutes of pure ecstasy (especially after the long torture of the ascent!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment