Saturday, December 29, 2018

Pequonnock Valley Hike - 12-29

For late December, the weather was insane!  It was close to 50 degrees and very sunny most of the time - there's was no way I could stay inside today so I ventured over to Trumbull WTHOUT MY BIKE! It rained like mad yesterday and I knew the park would be a swamp so I thought it best to hike.

I started out at the Whitney Ave lot and checked out a possible log river crossing just a bit downstream from Coyote Crossing. I opted not to try this one!
So I continued on south on the Rail Trail and think I discovered another ancient carriage road. I wondered if the Churchill Road entrance that the town has planned will descend here? LINK >
Two photos digitally enhanced to highlight the carriage road remnants...
Since the forest was clear of undergrowth -- I decided to photograph the cow tunnels as it was right near the carriage road vestiges.
  A little further on, a tree seemed to grow right out of the rock!
 
I  finally decided to shimmy across the river on this fallen log. The river was really raging but I made it across...
 ...and even got a nice photo looking downstream near the middle!:-)
 Looking back - woo-eee!
Sadly, once I got to the Serengeti  I noticed the boardwalk had already shifted - the rain was been relentless and even the current here is pretty strong!
 But golly...(said in a Gomer Pyle voice) it is still gorgeous in the "green moss canyon"
 The Copper Creek was filled to the brim! (Rain, rain, go away- for drier days we ALL do pray!)
 Finally to get back to the car - I trekked up thru Indian Ledges - the trails are freaking awesome!!!

Oops - I almost forgot to mention - my task today was to gray out the old White Blazes as that trail will be re-blazed out of the Serengeti up thru the Sandy Shore trail, etc. I will return with a  friend sometime soon to complete the White Trail blazing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment