Sunday, July 13, 2008

Trumbull - July 13, 2008

Pequonnock River Valley State Park 

I rode on Saturday alone (Greg had a party to attend) but I didn't take my camera. I went first to the Old Mine area and, after a long slog up the main hill (it was huge), I hit the trails at the very back-end and shot back down the main hill on the single track traversing the spots where the old mine shafts were.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the main park, starting from the Whitney Road trail on the east side of the river... proceeding to the Indian Ledge cliffs...

The trail down from the top of Indian Ledge to the river 
Sadly out of focus


...riding along the river for a short while... riding up the hill (upwards from the bridge ruins - could be an old farm/logging road) to the Town Playground where I rested - and splashed water on my face. (I got pretty hot)

I then proceeded--via the new trail I discovered a while ago--up to the upper red trail and rode all the way to the fire road (only hit a tree once!). After the tree incident, I made it across the orange stream and did rock garden #2 (that was the highlight of this adventure).

At the fire road, I went down the hill via the trails on the south side that parallel the road, finishing at the rooty section right before the old lakebed. I headed back north across the old lakebed and checked out the area where the middle bridge used to be. I found a new well-traveled trail that curved thru the fields and woods and ended up a dead end in the middle of nowhere! Strange!

From that point, I headed on back along the river via the blue trail. Once across the river and on the rail trail, I leisurely rode south to Turtle Rock and then circled back.

It was a real nice day, full of exercise and -as always - a healthy enjoyment being in the woods...

No comments:

Post a Comment