Sunday, March 7, 2010

Trumbull - In the 50s... What a Day!

Pequonnock River Valley State Park - March 7, 2010

It has been a while since I updated this site with biking photos. Between winter weather (either frigid or soggy and rainy) and Greg being house-bound with a broken ankle, I haven't been out as much and redirected my love of biking to building websites, trail maintenance and creating interactive bike maps.

Well spring is here and Sunday was a beautiful sunny day in the 50s!

I parked at the north end and rode down to the north bridge using the Bramble path. The Blue Trail by the river was surprisingly dry and fun to ride. While blocking a shortcut with deadwood, I chatted with a couple of hikers passing by and gave them a glowing description of the park and recommended Wilton Woods as well for their freeriding teenage son and friends.

I then rode south to the lake bed edge and headed up to the ridges. At a trail at the top (off the north of the fire road) I fixed a short section of the trail that needed better drainage and then searched for the start of the cliff trail that I had discovered a couple of weeks back in crummy weather.


- Finding the Cliff Trail -
The cliff trail starts at this rock. Going north, turn left before the rock. 

- At the Start of the Cliff Trail -
Make the turn and ride down the trail.

- Turning at the Switchback -
You'll need to turn between the tree and the rock to make the switchback onto the cliff trail. 

-- The Cliff Trail -
There's about a three foot ledge to ride on down and one rock obstacle to ride over but it's not too scary. The view out towards the valley and former lake bed is great in the pre-spring since there aren't any leaves on the trees.

It turns out I discovered this a few years ago but in the lush greenness of summer, I didn't recognize it!

No comments:

Post a Comment