Saturday, June 11, 2016

Quarry Head and the New Reroute at Mianus

Quarry Head

I had some Corp IT work I had to run in the morning but I got over this park to help build trails late morning. Its an interesting place. There are remnants of the former land owner's summer house abandoned in 1988.
You can see Long Island on the horizon on clear day from this spot!
It's hard to tell from this photo but there is quite a drop off here. Note the compass etched in stone.

As soon as we finished the trail work, there was an enormous heavy downpour and my plans to ride the new reroute over in Mianus seemed unrealistic.

The heavy rain kept up for quite a while so I opted for a fancy pizza and beer at Stamford Coalhouse Pizza (expensive for lunch but exquisite!) and waited it out until the rain cleared.

Mianus

I got to Mianus and the sun peaked out off and on, The forest was a freakin' steam bath and I stupidly had long jeans and my rain parka so I was dripping...

But I got to the new reroute on Indian Rock. I didn't clean it first time but I'll be back. It does not seem impossible (even for a XC weening like me!)
The new way up
(old trail on the right)
Looking back midway up
Looking up -  midway up

This is a great trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment