Sunday, July 3, 2016

From the Serengeti to the Huntington Mica Mines

Saturday at Trumbull - Pequonnock Valley


White Trail in the Serengeti

Sunday at Huntington

I parked in the Upper Dodgingtown parking lot and zoomed on down to the lower lot before hitting the Burn Loops. I then decided to venture up north and check out the mica mine. I was only here once before - literally ages ago with my son. It was kinda cool checking it out knowing that ages ago, mica was actively mined here.
I guess the sign was for the mica mine when it was active
One of the pits
Mica was scattered everywhere - glistening in the sunlight
Hard to tell from the photo but this is pretty big...
Oo yeah - nice trail - part of the mica mines rim loop
There are trails that encircle all around the mica pits... 
Couldn't resist snapping this shot from my handlebars...
This is the trail out of the area (heading northeast)
The next section of riding had some really nice flowing trails but then on the circle back... a huge climb. Ouch!


Then I headed further north and explored the northern-most white trails(s). Although I was trying to find the old chimney, I ended up at the extreme north off the park near a farmhouse. Yikes!! I had no idea how I got there! This detour wasn't in my plans! NOTE: Even the trail itself shows up on a Google Map aerial.
End of the line!

It was a long slog back up going southward but I eventually found my way back to the Blue Trail and headed back across the Pipeline trail past the parking lot and back to more familiar territory. 

I stopped to chow down on an apple at this scenic spot overlooking the lake and snapped a photo of the little lighthouse.
The mini lighthouse on the lake
After riding both the South Pond and South Park trails, I headed on north on Rock and Roll to check on the new boardwalks and armoring by FCNEMBA. It was great!

Finally along a really scenic stretch of Rock and Roll that's right at the lake edge - I reluctantly stopped (the flow was nice) because the lighthouse looked great in the sun and I wanted a photo.

Huntington is really a great spot and certain trails and section really kick my butt. It's a bit of a longer haul to get up here but I really should do it more often!


Further Historical Info

Not too much is found online about the Mica Mine but it was known as Biermann's Quarry.

No comments:

Post a Comment