Monday, August 26, 2019

Perry Hill - 2019

On Monday I returned to Perry Hill - on my agenda was to play my pocket flute, ride the new trail we discovered yesterday and of course finish the day with a bomb down Campfire.

The tunnel under the interstate highway was a perfect spot to play my small Native American flute as the echo is awesome.


Pocket Flute

A short improvisation on a small Native American Flute inside the tunnel - natural reverb!


Fernland

Truth be told, it was a struggle up the main trail - its a freaking tough climb and this mid 60s aging old man had to mix hike-a-bike with riding :-(  But once in the "fernland area" off to the right, which is super flat, I regained my dignity!

Since I never saw any of these trails on any trail map I decided to GPS them.
red lines and green line are trails that I GPSed


 Rastaman

The confusion on our hike yesterday was that I was unaware of the new trail that snakes way down to almost the interstate level. A few years back - I rode down a long gully but although it still exists, the trail has been rerouted to an awesome long series of switchbacks. There were some really tight corners I had to slow down and dab - otherwise I'd go over the edge!  It is truly an amazing work of art - as are so many of the trails here...
The Deep Stream Crossing
I stopped to snap pics of the deep stream crossing.Its about 8 feet deep and probably etched deep in the last couple of years due to the excessive rain we've had in the Northeast.
Destination - Outcropping
Well I finally made it to the scenic outcropping I meant to show on my hike yesterday - it was longer to get there than I expected!
The Old Gully
I turned around and on the way back, I snapped a photo of the gully that used to be the trail.

Heading up the Mountain

Lastly - once on the main trail - I turned off to climb this new trail I was unfamiliar with to get to Campfire. Needless to say, it was incredible!

Campfire!

Seeing this sign was like finding an oasis while trekking for a long time in the desert -- I was elated!
There are of course no pics of the downhill bomb (that would ruin the flow!!) but I remembered the clearing from years back so I rested I bit in the shade and snapped this pic.

 At the River

Finally after the amazing descent - my adrenaline was still pumping so I bombed around the little pump track for a bit and then checked out the riverside--accessible from the parking lot.

Perry Hill never ceases to amaze me - the incredible trails,  the stunning scenery, the lush greenery. As long as I can ride (heck as long as I can walk!!), I will return here once a year to partake of its beauty....

No comments:

Post a Comment