Sunday, July 5, 2015

Bennetts - Whahappened?

I rode Bennetts ages ago with my son and remembered it being a fun place. My return today--quite a few years later--was a disappointment. The park seemed disheveled and unkempt and the trails weren't as nice as I remembered them to be... Did the Friends of Bennetts Pond Park unfriend the place?
A quick loop
After a steep uphill at the entrance, you ride into the former site of Colonel Louis D. Conley’s enormous nursery (more info >). Now, a way overgrown field with a nice view, the trail winds thru this but it has hasn't been trimmed in ages and I was ripped apart by pricklers....
The Field 
My legs and arms were ripped apart by sharp pricklers
Once you get thru the overgrown fields (there are two of them) you enter the woods and it is pretty much a coast downhill for the next 10 minutes. There is one section nearer to the bottom where you are flying - it is wide and super steep.

At the pond, the old bridge to the trail on the north side was no longer there!
I remember a bridge being here...
I rode back westward along the relatively easy trail by the south side of the pond and was rewarded by a nice view (I put a crude panorama together to demonstrate). Sadly, sections of this trail were eroded and/or strewn with branches and fallen trees.
Pond side trail heads thru fence
 I wasn't headed this way today but the bridge is mighty skinny!
Narrow footbridge that heads into the Leibowitz/Hemlock Hills section
Looking back--I had just come along the trail on the left and was headed back out on the trail on the right...
Looking back at the bridge - panorama
Once I got on the narrow single track heading upward--it felt great. This was a good trail--roots for sure but a gradual climb and obviously well traversed and maintained.
Nice single track going back up the hill to the parking lot
 The nice trail ends up right by the main sign.
 I was hot, sweaty and scratched up from the pricklers so the cold beer waiting in my cooler hit the spot!


No comments:

Post a Comment