Friday, October 7, 2016

909 Bust

I took Friday off to ride 909 on the way up to visit my mother. The weather was absolutely incredible - sunny and in the 70s. Just the shorts and a jersey was all you needed. I decided to finally ride BykHead -- the only time I rode it was years ago with my son.

I parked at the Tyrell lot and made a beeline south on Brockway, veering on Tent. I meant to turn off on Mary Murphy but somehow I missed it :-(.  Once I got to the main dirt road, I turned left and headed uphill past the chimney and found the other side of Mary Murphy (after continuing a bit too far on Anthill!). Mary Murphy is a great trail for XC. I ended looping back and crossed the dirt road to get on BykhHead. Once I got past where the other old log road crosses it (brown trails on the map), I recognized the climb I did with my son ages ago.

It was a tough climb but once the main steep part ends, you are rewarded with a great, great trail. After a bit of exhilarating riding - I hit a small rock and the back wheel froze! Bummer--the axle came out!!

I tried hard to put it all back together but somehow I couldn't. I also wrongly assumed I was missing an end bolt on one side. Can you believe it? I was finally on ByHead again over a decade later and my bike was inoperable - man I was bummed. I had to walk out of the park with the bike.

I tried slinging the back of the bike off the ground with my arm and helmet chin straps, gingerly walking my bike using sticks as an temporary axle to hold the wheel in place and finally simply propped the bike on my shoulder and walked for the next hour and half or so!  It of course felt like an eternity!
BykHead is the best!
These photos can't/don't capture the magic of this trail
Temp solution only!
Man - if only I was riding this!
Carrying my bike for seemingly forever...

Fortunately, I stopped at a great bike shop "Plaine & Son" in Schenectady a few hours later and they were able to fix the bike. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment