Saturday, December 28, 2019

Farringtons Hike

The weather was pretty nice but it's been wet for a few days so I was reluctant to bike on muddy trails -- I opted to hike instead. Having never explored the upper trails at Farringtons, I eagerly set out to check them out!

First was the long and arduous climb to the top of Sanford Mountain. Sure its only 781 ft. tall but its still a haul! Sadly the view isn't that great - there are trees blocking the view over the pond. At least, the makeshift picnic table made from old planks and rocks caught my eye :-)
From the "mountain top", the trails heading back north are really wonderful and I am anxious to return with my mountain bike at some point. The never-ending uphill climb is replaced by challenging but doable rolling hills of up and down.

I discovered an old fireplace nestled in truly lovely spot next to a small pond...

...and the descent to Farringtons Pond takes you by a beautiful mountain stream...
Remnants of a curved dam were found on the shoreline of Farringtons Pond.
short video

At this point my Camelback nozzle broke, dripping my supply of water on the ground so I decided to head back on the old carriage road rather that continue to explore the west side trails. Even the carriage road was picturesque!
By moving at a "hikers pace" allowed me to discover additional ruins off to the side

Finally I checked out the fireplace on Sanfords Pond - it was in bad shape compared to a few years back :-( (See photo 2014)
Sanfords Pond

No comments:

Post a Comment