Saturday, March 26, 2022

Meeting True Rockhounds...

There was a short window of nice sunny weather so I returned to the South Glastonbury/Portland quarries with my friend Mike who was anxious to visit them.

Behind Raymond Road

That's an old carriage road behind me
Mike by one of the many quarries in the area

Wiarda/Simpson Quarries

After I gave Mike a tour of the large quarry remnants east of Raymond Road, I took him down to the Wiarda/Simpson Quarries where we encountered a few true rockhounds digging for interesting mineral specimens. They were gracious enough to allow me to take a few photos of some of their findings...
Yep that's Beryll!
Mica 
A good example of Feldspar 
(both beige/pink and white)
We had a great conversation with them re all the minerals present in this quarry as well as a bit about the local history. Truth be told... they had so much info to offer my mind was blown!! It was amazing how much they knew and how easy-going they were when I kept pummeling them with questions!

The Hale House Ruins

Finally when my brain couldn't handle anymore fascinating rock hound info, I showed Mike the ruins of the old Hale House which I had explored before.
This tree burl caught my eye - it looks just like a wizened face doesn't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment