Wednesday, March 2, 2022

More Quarry Findings

Back in October 2021 I tried to retrace the abandoned portion Old Dayton Road. Crazy Wandering! I returned today with my friend Al to try to locate the abandoned feldspar mine off to the west of the road remnants. Research said there were "orange ribbon trail markers on tree limbs marking a rough path to the Simpson quarry. Even with the trail markers it is rough bushwhacking, along a general bearing of 280º, to get to the overgrown quarry dumps." Well fortunately being wintertime, a barely discernible trail leading to the old quarry was located and we found it!

Simpson Quarry (Wiarda Quarry)

It was more extensive then I thought and the dumps (tailings) were huge.

Dump Area
Rock Close-ups
There were quite a few spots where mica and/or quartz were glistening in the sun
Mica shines!
Quartz
Typical pegmatite rock samples
(note mix of feldspar, mica, quartz, etc.)

-Short Video-

Other Nearby Quarries

I took Al to the pipeline trail off Dayton Road and showed him some of the quarries I had visited previously I'm not a rock hound but.... The weather was sunny and warm - a great. day for a hike!
Off to the left on the descent

Ah yes - the main set of quarries along the carriage road
Al Tinti in front of Quarry #!

No comments:

Post a Comment