Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Stowe - Cady Hill Trails

After a short visit to the Perry Hill entrance, I decided to forgo that ride today as it was lunchtime and getting kinda hot. I drove back to the Waterbury Train station--which is truly awesome--and visited the history exhibit there. Nearby was a small cafe where I had a "non-alcoholic" lunch. [Too many awesome pubs further up the street had great beer but I didn't want to get lethargic because I decided at that point to ride Cady Hill instead.]

The Ride

I opted to ride in from the south side this year instead (last year I went in from the parking lot on Mountain Road) but there was only one entrance on Cady Hill Road where you could park.
On Cady Hill Road there's a small space to park where a trail begins. The first trail section is labeled "On Private Property" but it quickly joins up with Charlie's (at that intersection is where I saw the "On Private Property" sign)
Where I parked and rode in
Charlie's 
Charlie's is tough but doable. There are a lot of roots and sudden switchbacks on hills.
Charlie's
Zog's is great once you get past a series of tough climbs.  I was not in the mood to wear myself out so I did the Walk of Shame on most of those hills until I got to this spot.
Zog's after the climbs
Zog's
I was aiming to ride the various Schween Loops but there wasn't any signage so I inadvertently veered off my intended path. Once I unexpectedly came to a street, I turned on the GPS and realized I was way over at East Shaw Hill! $&@$%$!! Yikes!

But (as I indicated on the map) the trails were wonderful. I started MapMyRide and retraced my way back on the same trails I had taken. These trails were rooty, traversing primarily thru Conifers. There were lots of moguls but the hills were gradual and the flow was real good. It was great to ride :-)
Great trail!!
Which way, dude?
Finally, I climbed back up Cady Hill Connector -- which is a pretty easy double track and found Florence. I knew this was my fun-filled ticket out on the park. Florence is a machine-built Flow Trail.
I had to force myself to stop and take this photo - you can't help but fly!

Check out this GoPro WebCam (not mine!) to get an idea of the ride
One of many berms (20?) 
Close-up of berm - these were solid!
At the end of my Florence run where it meets Charlie's,  I paused for a photo shoot. The downhill run went by in a flash - a fitting way to close out this visit. Woo-eee!
End of Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment