Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Waterbury - Perry Hill (Rasta Mountain)

One of my all time favorite trails is Campfire at Perry Hill. It seems almost magical as you descend on a perfectly sculpted trail that flows along natural contours of the mountain slope. It unfortunately takes a relentless climb to get to it :-(

Like last year, I ended up walking most of the climb up Permission but I decided to vary it a bit this year and ride along the lower part of Rasta Man that parallels I-89 and the railroad tracks.

Ascent

The ascent up Permission was brutal and I didn't even try to ride it.
The fire road up (Permission) is a wicked uphill climb
I took the very first trail off to the right which was probably an illegit trail thru this gully.
trail thru gully

Rasta Man (Blue Trail)

At the top of the previously pictured gully, I believe I connected with the Blue Trail as it was very compacted and obviously had a lot of traffic. I rode eastward.
Main trail eastward
The trail skirts the edge of a huge embankment (plateau). Way down below on the right is I-89.
Vegetation like this makes Perry Hill so awesome - especially when its sunny :-)
So much for my thinking this section of Rasta Man was gonna be relatively flat!
Elevation Chart includes Permission climb from start

There were a good amount of hills. Here you take a speedy descent into...
...an amazing huge granite outcropping where a stream washes thru. (Be sure to click on this to see the enlargement)
On the far right of the photo above - this berm is naturally sculpted into the terrain.
I only went a bit further after the huge granite stream crossing and decided to turn around, It was hot, I was bushed already and I was dying to get to Campfire.

Rejoining the Relentless Climb

I got back on the main double track climb and keep slogging on upward.

Rest - Panorama

I took a rest at the same spot as I did last year and shot (and later stitched together) a four-photo panorama. (Be sure to view the enlarged version)
Perry Mountain Panorama
I was still pretty bushed so in my boredom of trying to catch my breath, I shot this selfie. The Yellow Trail (which is the way to get to Campfire) is showing behind me.

The Yellow Trail

This is an awesome trail...
The Yellow Trail
The signage here was a little confusing
Joe's Hill Intersection

Campfire

But I continued on this way...
Campfire starts 
 Down Campfire - this is heaven!

Check out a HelmetCam (not mine) of the Campfire Trail

No more photos as it was a non-stop gorgeous descent!!!! The only issue was I finally realized--while on this descent--that I had forgotten my gloves and the bounciness of my hands on the handlebars kinda bothered me. Nevertheless, it was glorious and I savored every moment of it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment