Monday, August 31, 2015

Stowe - Trapp Trails

It was cloudy but quite pleasant and cooler than normal for this time of year.

Morning

I rode the lower trails in the morning, warming up with a quick bomb on the easy Greenway then riding Stepping Stones and Chuck's Corkscrew in both directions.
Looking back towards the Lodge
Luce Hill in background
Stepping Stones choices - I took the high road the first time
At the end of Chuck's Corkscrew,
I turned around here and rode back the way I came...
It was great!

Afternoon

In the afternoon, I rode Sugar Road and the lower trails for starters but they were just boring fire roads. Lodge Spur was a wicked climb but only the tight switchbacks gave me trouble. I learned it was best to lower my seat around these tight curves on a steep climb. Keeping your center of gravity lower helps a lot.
Once on the Luce Hill Loop, the trail is kinda tough with lots of roots and tight curves.  The dearth of photos is due to the fact I had taken photos last year* and since much of the trail really flows, you don't want to break the momentum to stop for a photo.

Once around the loop clockwise, I continued on up on Tapline and turned around a little after the series of tight switchbacks photographed below. It started to get dark--I thought rain was coming--so I high tailed it down the mountain, but alas... no rain occurred...
Tapline swtchbacks
These are great trails!

----
* Click on the Trapp Family Trails keywords to see other posts on these trails

No comments:

Post a Comment