Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Cady Hill Forest



After riding the Island Rail Trail in Burlington (late morning), I grabbed lunch in Burlington and headed back to Stowe and got started here at 3 PM. I was here 4 years ago with my son back when it was still a purposely semi-secret place. Well things drastically changed (for the better!) and now--not only is the place recognized as “official”--but there has been considerably more trails added.

Simply put - it is freakin’ awesome...


Entrance on Mountain Road
After a strenuous but do-able one-way climb thru a series of switchbacks, you get to an intersection and your choice of riding fun begins...
Great Singletrack!
the climb...
well labeled intersections
(straight ahead - the climb to the "chair")
I opted to head up to the green chair, which I remembered from my previous visit. It's at the top of the first mountain. A chair from a ski lift was randomly hung here years ago and by looking thru the chair you can see the Mt Mansfield ski trails. Sadly that section of the photo got bleached out by the sun :-(
the "chair"
There are some rough hewn rock outcroppings here and there which you can ride (I simply chose the B line) and there is constant climbing and roots and twists and turns everywhere you go.
terrain features
Much of the higher ground is a tall pine forest so you have that lovely lack of undergrowth...just a lush bed of pine needles on the ground all around. All these side trails are "old school" and fun but challenging to ride.
nice "old school" trail
The trail aptly named "Bridgey" has quite a few boardwalks to traverse.
check out the bridge/boardwalk
After finding the trail "Zog", I planned on heading out (I was bushed!) but noticed the sculpted trail off to the side that wasn't on the map. Man... this was amazing!  I--without even trying--end up flying down a series of huge sculpted berms and curves at probably close to 30 mph! I end up back on Zog and had to slog back up but it was worth it.
just made >>  new flow trail - berms galore!!!
The rest of the main trail out-- on the Cady Hill connector-- once in the downhill section--was professionally sculpted as well and another fast bomb :-)

Lastly, the one-way out on Bear's Trail seemed to last forever. A series of switchbacks took me back down to the parking lot and I realized just how much the climb was to get into the park! Phew! For a change, it felt like I had done more descending then ascending!

Once in the parking lot, I chatted with another rider who said the sculpted trail I rode next to Zog's was just finished yesterday! Boy was I a lucky dude :-)

Short Video

No comments:

Post a Comment