Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Return to Big River

After my Big River super hot and humid ride on Sunday, I was anxious to return and explore more of the trails. I tried to follow the IMBA recommended ride (MTB Project Map and Info) but with the huge amount of trail choices and no signage and very minimal blazing, I ended up just "following my fancy". Needles to say, no matter which trail you choose, it is all awesome here!


This map is my ride layered on top of the Open Street Map. It really shows how many trails exist here - it's mind boggling!
Open Street Map (layered)
This topo version helps understand the elevation changes.
Topo 
Elevation Charts (I GPS'd the ride in three Sections)




The slow ascent on the Red Trail has many short rocky sections. Tough to stay on the bike for a first timer here!
The Red trail has lots of short tricky rock gardens
It gets more and more scenic as you climb: big rocky cliffs and boulders all around.
As you climb higher, more and more "big granite" 
Every which way you turn - there are trails and more trails. Without my cell phone GPS tracing and having the OpenStreet map as a reference, I would be completely lost. As it was, I only had vague idea where I was most of the time and I had to check my compass more than once for additional guidance. Yikes!
There are a myriad of trails everywhere
This section had a roller
Once I descended from the hilly area, the trails were super fun and fast to ride.
One of a million choices!
Marsh/Pond on the left
Mammoth glacial erratic
I kinda got my bearings again when I reached the New London Turnpike (which by the way is just a dirt road!) and headed north on a wonderful twisty trail primarily under conifer cover - it was magic!

This is paradise for mountain bikers of ALL skills levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment