Saturday, February 4, 2017

Wooster Mountain Hike

My bike was still in the shop so I ventured back up to the Bennetts Pond area to hike and check out the trails on Wooster Mountain. Although it was sunny, there was a really cold wind in my face - especially when down by the pond.

I parked off Rt 7 (here) and crossed busy Rt 7 when the traffic light gave me a moment.

(updated/corrected after my 2-5 hike)
Coming in from Rt 7
Rocky Streambed

 Climbing the Fire Road

Start of the Climb
More climbing, but the sun was nice!

 Picking a Single Track

Veering to the Right, I Took the Green Trail
It wasn't very well-defined, but I discovered it eventually headed down this valley
Instead of continuing, I came back to the fork and veered left on the White

Joining the Ives

It got me to the Ives...
A rocky ascent thru a valley in the Ives
 At the four way intersection at the top of the climb, I took five photos for a crude 360 panorama. (Click to enlarge)
Panorama at the 4-way

Climbing the North Hill

I first climbed the hill on the left (north)
At the top - nice slick rock
I choose to veer to the right here and loop back
View From Ives looking back up the optional tech way down
(drops and rollers!)

The awesome Orange trail

I then made my way south on the Orange trail
An obviously great trail for mountain bikers
It eventually intersected the Green - it went off the the left and I continued downhill (blazes were now orange and green). I didn't GPS anything and looking it the map - it still is confusing as I don't see the Green that I saw veer off the the left.

It was amazing how high up I was still -- the trail seemed to take forever to descend and none of the maps really do justice to how many switchbacks occur on the descent - especially the closer you get to the bottom.

The Orange/Green Trail is trully an awesome trail...

No comments:

Post a Comment