Saturday, September 25, 2021

Portland - Bike Ride

  I did a "road bike tour" of Portland, CT this morning. The weather was a bit chilly.

Brownstone Quarries

The Quarry looked beautiful!

Riverfront Park

I then rode into the Riverfront Park. It was built on the remnants of quarry slag and had a nice view of the Connecticut River
Map of the former narrow gauge railway

Brownstone Buildings everywhere!

The Church, the entrances to the school, the police station—all built with brownstone for the quarries.  (Actually much of New York City and Brooklyn's apartment buildings are also built using the brownstone from Portland's quarries)

Flat Roofs!

For some strange reason in my bike ride around town I saw a plethora of flat roofs! There were quite a few beautiful old houses...
... all shapes and sizes including a couple of octagonals!
Lastly, I stopped to check out the ancient "stone arch". It was pulled by oxen and used to transport the large brownstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment