Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Crazy Wandering!

I was psyched to return into the woods and retrace the Old Dayton Road. Saturday's hike was a success so I was prepared for more of the same - Oops!

After entering from Michelle Drive, the remnants of the road were almost non-existent and it got even harder to discern as I hiked deeper into the woods...

Parts were swampy and sadly there were still bugs (eeecch!) but I did find a stretch that actually resembled a road for a bit!
But then I came upon a house, a paved driveway and a no trespassing sign so I headed back. (No need to confront an angry homeowner who might have a gun!)
Of course on the way back, I got off course and  basically didn't know where I was  - although I eventually figured after bushwhacking a lot that I was too far east...
But what the heck--the scenery was nice!
-Short Video-

Hindsight is Insight! (Maps)

I intended to track my wanderings but messed up on the way in <sigh>  -- I failed to turn on the  GPS tracking on correctly--duh!

Fortunately using GPS Visualizer I was able to make sense of my wanderings. The yellow dashed route on the map below is pretty much what I hiked which I've manually drawn by hand. What's cool is that the ArcGIS(Clarity) background tiles kinda show the road remnants and overgrown trails!

The OpenStreet-relief  background and even the default Google Street background (at the highest close up setting) shows the property lines of the old road:
Its a wonderfully hilly area with large amount of granite outcroppings.

Oh well - it was still an interesting adventure and my curiosity was somewhat satisfied...


No comments:

Post a Comment