Saturday, November 21, 2015

Mianus - Treetops Hike

After a full belly of spicy pizza and beer - I was near enough to Mianus Park, that I decided to skip going back home for the mountain bike and hike it instead.

The hike up Indian Mill Trail on the deteriorating pavement now is plastered with no trespassing signs but its A LEGITIMATE trail! Needless to say, it would be nice to consider building a single track up the hillside instead. About 3/4 of the way up, this spot caught my eye for a trail route (Ah one can dream...)

I remember this spot being all rocky and swampy - its nice to see the boy scouts put a foot bridge here...
This spot is an eroded trough now - a bit of an S curve would surely be welcome at this stretch.
Looking up
Lookng down
Love the old stone fences here - they are everywhere!
Stone fence - close up
I bushwhacked off the main trail following some deer tracks I saw and eventually found this old carriage road...
This pile of wood looked like was once an old building of some sort. The White sign says "EXIT"
The road appeared to be headed toward the mansion so I decided the turn downhill following some more deer tracks. Suddenly 8 ft in front of me--right before I turned--about 10 or so deer suddenly bolted away--too bad I didn't have my camera ready!
Carriage Road Continues...
I was able to follow the deer tracks downhill a bit but suddenly there was so much undergrowth I decided to turn around.
Deer Tracks
Oops... time to turn around
Some more bushwhacking across a clearer area brought me back on the main trail...

I never noticed how big the glacial erratic that was near to old sugar house...
I capped off the hike with a photo shot from beneath the Merriebrook Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment