Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Wet Day - Mianus Hike

It has been rainy and wet for a day or two. Today it was overcast in the afternoon but not raining so I ventured out for a hike, wisely leaving the bike at home since it would be slippery.

I hiked quite a bit of the park and visited a few spots I haven't been to in a while.

Dam

The dam looked considerably different since 2008. Many of the trees have been cut down next to the dam and a huge amount of large boulders are placed on the downstream side of the dam -- I would imagine for support.
Nov 11th, 2015
Sept 1st, 2008
(The circle indicates my bike, leaning against a tree that is no longer there...)
I stitched together 4 photos to make this panorama (click to enlarge)
The Dam and "Lake"

Cave

I traipsed up to the Cave Trail and realized it has been a long long time since I have been up there. I even missed the turn off for Natural Selection! (that's a trail we built ages ago). Here's a shot of the cave interior...
Mianus Cave

By The River

Lastly, I swing down by the river's edge off on a side trail where I never bike and hopped across the rocks to take the next shot looking upstream...
Rock Hop
Upstream
A bit further south, I took a few photos of the new hardened access and stitched together a panorama...
Hardened Access built in Sept 2015
It was nice to be outdoors - even in the overcast conditions. Hiking gives you a chance to notice things you often miss while mountain biking. The fresh perspective was enlightening! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment