Sunday, February 21, 2016

A return to Old Mine and Parlor Rock

Old Mine

I ventured back to the park today to finish up GPSing the trails but the damn app wasn't working correctly.  It was bummer when I got home and saw all the trail map data on the phone was wrong!

But I still enjoyed wandering around the park. I ran into a couple of friends of mine (both a biker and a hiker) and noticed a little more closely how much of the old mine remnants are still visible throughout the park.

As you ascend the west side of the hill, remnants of an old parallel mining road are clearly visible.

...and at the top of the hill--right after the carriage road turns eastward--is a huge area that looked like an open pit for mining. Sure enough, an old map I located online confirmed this area was known as the upper pit.
Many stone pilings and pits scattered across the entire park indicate previous mining activity and the sketch map above helps identify them. Interesting stuff for sure!

This knotted and burled tree caught my eye - it looked like the face of a gnarled lizard :-)

Parlor Rock

On my walk back to Whitney Ave, I stopped to marvel at Parlor Rock Falls. They were "full blast" today with all the meltwater.


No comments:

Post a Comment