Saturday, February 6, 2016

Old Mine Trumbull Explorations

I arrived the Whitney Ave lot around 10:45 or so and decided to explore the trails in Old Mine for a change. I wasn't sure about the trail conditions so I hiked instead of biked.

Rail Trail to Old Mine

It was a good thing I hiked because even through the rail trail looked extraordinarily beautiful with the snow blanketing the trees, the riding might have been a little sketchy as there was 6 or so inches of snow on the ground and icy where folks have tread,

Old Mine Park

The goal today was to explore any new trail offshoots and GPS them all. I plan on updating the map on the FCNEMBA site (or at least a more accurate map on my map section).

The first turn off the main fire road yielded a wonderful long trail that lead all the way back to Rt 25 on the other side of the river!
Heading back on a trail closer to the cliff there's a little rock terrain challenge
The whole side trail is nicely blazed orange.
This is about 4 ft high and would definitely present a challenge to bikers!

Foundation and Curved Dam Ruins 

Near the top of the hill, there is an old foundation and a little further up...
...remnants of a small curved dam that probably held water for the residents of the house.
A fairly steep climb is needed to continue up the hill to get to the end of the trail where connects to Caldron Drive.
My phone/camera battery ran out so I had to take a long break to charge the phone in my car charger.  I saw this trail off to the side at the end of the line at Caldron and decided to come back to this spot after lunch and continue hiking and GPSing.

Map 


After Lunch

I drove around, ate lunch and spent way too much time trying to charge my phone but finally at 52% charge decided to trek in from Caldron Drive.

After a short distance, the trail connects with the main fire road (visible in Bing) ...
... and I continued on until in ends at Corporate Drive.
I swing to the left and continued on around on another trail, at one point following dog tracks!

There's a myriad of good trails back here and unfortunately my battery ran out quickly once more so I had to head back (URGG!!)

The last stop (before the camera completely died) was at one of the mine shaft on the main fireroad.

It was an awesome trek and I can't wait to bike these trails - I hope to head back here tomorrow to finish off my GPSing.

No comments:

Post a Comment