Saturday, February 20, 2016

Back At Old Mine (Beautiful!) and confirming the Valley was an icy mess

Old Mine

I returned today to try and finish up the GPSing for the trail map I am building. It was gorgeous -- sunny and warm!. This time I had a replacement battery in my phone so that hassle was eliminated.

Even though most of the trails in the back were clear, I still had to scale this snowbank to get started!
Where I parked
At the start of on of the trails I hadn't yet GPSd
A panorama of a 3-way trail intersection in the back of the park
There is an easy trail at the bottom on the hill in the back that parallels this fence along the back property line of Home Depot.
It ends up connecting to the carriage road at the mine cut on the west side of the park.

The carriage road double track was probably built and used during the mining days. It is nicely built up with solid stonework.
Looking uphill at the double track carriage road
Looking downhill at the carriage road near the mine cut
I retraced my hike to the top trail and this time located the loop that swings back north.
 Off to the side it looked like a pile of mine tailings...
The trail up top is really nice (especially in the sunlight).
I wandered off trail a bit and loved this old wall...


Well the GPS glitched on a couple of trails (the thin brown trail is only a approximation) but it's 95% done... I can't wait to ride the park soon!


The Valley

After my GPS focused hiking at Old Mine Park, I drove south to Whitney Ave and hiked around the Valley a bit. Good thing I didn't bring my bike. It was super icy and muddy everywhere!
Even the Rail Trail was glistening with ice 
Many easy trails were tough to walk without crampons
(super slippery)
A bit a beauty nevertheless 
The way up to the Red Trail was a deep pond!
Lastly, the connector trail from the North Bridge to the White Trail is washed away - the rock embankment we put in a few years back wasn't enough... :-( The streamlet overflowed and cascaded over the trail...

It will be a while until the Valley can be ridden again...

No comments:

Post a Comment