Sunday, March 26, 2017

Wooster Mtn Snow Slog

The weekend was rainy and dreary but I decided to head out Sunday afternoon and continue my GPS hiking quest.

This time I parked at the Gun Club lot and first headed up the old road in the back. It was blazed white. There was snow on the ground, wet and half melted, but most of the time the trails were discernible.

Carriage Road Ascent

Old Carriage Road Ascent
this White Trail ascent is mostly an old carriage road
(rarely used by bikers)
At the top of the hill where the Yellow meets the tech trails off the to left

This stretch of the Yellow was an old carriage road as well
(you can see it on old Topo maps)
Looking back at where the Red intersects the Yellow
Ah... remnants of yesteryear..
The old carriage road continued straight (now gated since it is someone's back yard)
At this point--without blazes and a few inches of snow on the ground--I wandered up the ridge (curving to the left) but lost where the trail continued so I headed back to the Red intersection.

On the Red

This is a great trail--perfect for XC--not too much tech...
This is a nice XC trail and I can't wait to ride it
There’s a red trail here (a shortcut to the Ives) but I wandered up the stone tread on the left and got lost. This was apparently a tech offshoot. I believe the trail actually heads down to the right (some scattered blazing) but it was getting late and I decided to play it safe and stay on the trails I knew.

On the Ives

There's a section on the The Ives Trail which is mighty rocky and steep

Final Descent 

I headed out on the short and and steep White descent to the Gun Club
It was tough not to slip and slide on the section as it was very steep
Looking back up - confirming it was blazed White

Whew!

It was a good thing I parked in the outside lot as the gates were locked shut on the inside lot. The silence in the air indicated the Gun Club had been closed for a while.

Despite the soggy hiking boots and the occasional sprinkle of rain while in the park - it was good to get out a climb and explore...

No comments:

Post a Comment