Saturday, October 9, 2021

Back to the Abandoned Quarries

I was really curious about the old quarry carriage road I discovered on my trek here on Oct. 1st and I scoured the internet for any old maps that might show them and found nothing. Being a bit obsessed I discovered by changing the historgam on the ArcGis Topo Map, you can get traces of the trails!

Below is the tweaked ArcGIS map with my treks and quarries locations added.

And here’s a rough GPX of my hikes (both days)

I parked at the end of Raymond Road and hiked down a very steep gravel path into the deep ravine. I could see a slag pile up the hill off to the left.

There was a curved uphill carriage road on the right which eased the ascent to the top of the other side of the ravine.

The Old Road past the Quarries

I rejoined the road I explored on my previous visit here and kept hiking north.

Abandoned Machinery

I saw a few artifacts from yesteryear along the way :-)
Refrigerator!

Interesting Rock Formations

I have always found granite outcroppings and rock formations interesting and this area didn't disappoint!
It looked like a soccer ball!

 I am fascinated by old abandoned roads...

No comments:

Post a Comment