Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Hollister-Whitehouse Preserve

 I took a short hike this afternoon that surprisingly had a bit of a climb but you were rewarded with a view! Hollister-Whitehouse Family Nature Preserve is very close by and using the AllTrails app, I checked it out.

It turns out the kiosk sign has more detail than the AllTrails map but even this map missed a few trails in the north section.

The Hike along the Stream

I parked in the Tall Timbers Road entrance and hiked the park in a counter-clockwise direction. The trail follows a small creek for quite a ways before ascending the hill.
There was a short but interesting rocky section. Since I have been scouting out old feldspar quarries in the woods recently, this section looked uncannily like slag from an old quarry but I think I conjecture too much and it was probably just nature's geological randomness :-)
More trail before the big climb...

The Climb

It was a bit of a slog up this hill (250 ft or so!) but the view was cool.

The Vista

The side trails were not marked on the AllTrails map
There was a nice view of Hartford in the distance. I imagine on a clear sunny day - it must be even better!

The Descent

There were quite a few other side trails off to the north (not on the maps!) which I wandered on for a bit. The final descent had quite a bit of rocky outcroppings.

All in all the hike was more interesting than I expected and I can see returning--all seasons--to enjoy the views and forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment