Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Adventure - Hidden Gems

After riding the Salmon Brook paved trail last Friday, I was curious about exploring the woods north of the trail.  I built a no-foliage map of the area and thought access through the woods might be accessible via the power lines...

My hike

These two photos are the power line clearances visible looking north from the paved trail. Unfortunately there was too much undergrowth and the stream to wade through so these pseudo-clearings wouldn't work.

 
 
But as my map above indicates, I found a path on the north side of the stream.
It was 20 ft or so down to the stream!
The first clearing
After the first clearing, there was an old road!
As indicated on the yellow colored hike on the map, this clearing was a dead end...
But I backtracked and found a trail that lead northward.
The woods looked really nice in the afternoon sun.
I came to a spot where there were big tire treads!
I found remnants of the old road - now a bit of a sunken gully. I thought this view of the gigantic fallen trees was gorgeous.
I turned around here...
...and on the way back, I couldn't resist snapping the shot - it was beautiful :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment