Saturday, October 22, 2022

West Rock Plus

Ages ago I rode here but don't remember much of anything. I popped down to North Haven to check out the park and had good intentions to ride Peter's Rock as well.

I parked at the Lake Wintergreen lot and headed north - all the way to Form Book Reservoir. It was a beautiful and a lovely ride. The first trail: Glenwoods was practically invisible with all the leaf cover and I veered off trail TOO many times!

The Red Trail (The Shire) was amazing and appropriately named as sections felt like you were in a Tolkien movie! After reaching Form Book Reservoir, I decided to head back and after a long and steady climb up the access road,  a bomb downwards after the turn was a welcome relief.

Lastly, I capped off the ride with a loop around Lake Wintergreen.

The Ride

See the heart?
I turned around here

Not great pictures
"The Shire"
The 3 photos above are at Lake Wintergreen

Next Stop Lunch and Peter's Rock

I headed over to Peter's Rock and chowed down at the pizza place across from the entrance. I had a 12" chicken parmesan sub and a Sam Adams lager.  Oops - I felt like a tired slug when I hit the trails at Peter's Rock and "petered out" [pun intended] after just doing the Round and Round loop. Shame!


Tidal Marsh Trail

Feeling like I had to do something else before returning home, I ventured over to the entrance to the Tidal Marsh Trail. I will be hiking this shortly to explore the eerie remnants of the Cedar Hill Railroad Yard.


Capturing that fiery red tree before heading home was a fitting ending to a lovely trek south. In the evening,  I returned to the Quarry View Drum Circle - it was a long but fruitful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment