Saturday, August 22, 2015

Farringtons and Huntington

After my fiasco a couple of weeks ago at Trumbull where I needlessly got all banged up from my worn out shoes -- I bought a new pair and am back in business...

It was a beautiful day: vey sunny and a little hot but the humidity seemed tolerable for a change. I decided to skip Trumbull today and head back up to Farringtons and hit Huntington as well.

Farringtons 

The parking lot at Farringtons was crowded like I have never seen it. Turns out it was a Boy Scout Troop that had just finished exploring, clearing and GPSing the hiking trails. I said hello and mentioned I had already made a bike map of the park. The eagle scout and his Dad have a project with the city to create a map for the kiosk. Some of the old hiking trails (mapped here) will finally be official!

Anyways, I stopped for the usual photo op by the lake and a little further on, I saw a red fox scamper by. Once again, I didn’t attempt the mountain trail and just rode the lower trails. I was the only rider in the park! It started to get hot and I was ashamedly already getting tired…
Sanfords Pond

Huntington

I let my phone GPS guide me to Huntington and it took a little less than half hour. I parked at the upper Dodgingtown’s lot. It was pretty hot by now. I rode straight in to Stratocaster and did the loop counter clockwise. It is such a great trail!

I noticed some new stunts and they looked doable by an XC weenie rider like me. This is a great spot to hone your skills (I hope to return on "off hours" to do just that :-) )

I did do the easier short flat one - Blink and You'll Miss It!

I stopped for a breather at the intersection where Stratocaster veers off from South Pond and snapped a photo. Its a really excellent trail - just check out the contours of the hill ascent - total PRO!

Although I helped construct this trail, the real kudos go to those who planned the route. Thank You FCNEMBA and CT NEMBA trail planners!

No comments:

Post a Comment