Sunday, August 30, 2015

Stowe - Trapp Trails and Smuggler's Notch

Once a year, our family gets together at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. An annual week timeshare arrangement is a lovely way to revitalize the family bonds and do a variety of outside activities together (mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, "road" and rail trail biking, etc.)
Guest House
Morning View from the Lodge
I took a morning warm up bike ride on the Greenway Loop...

Morning Loop
Greenway Loop (easy but fun!)
After riding a bit of Pipeline (more challenging single track), I looped back on Sleigh Road when I got a flat tire! Bummer- I didn’t have a spare tube (duh!) and the walk back up to the lodge was a brutal uphill - oh well at least I got a good amount of steps on my FitBit :-)
The deep woods around Sleigh Road was beautiful 
We took an excursion up north to Morristown to visit an eccentric artist's house. Her rock arch work was featured on Oprah.
Hanging bikes
Friendly Sheep :-)
Rock Arches
The side trip I took up to Smuggler's Notch with my sister was simply awesome. This place was incredible! Massive boulders are scattered in a narrow passageway over the mountain, creating nooks and crannies everywhere. There were all kinds of trails scattered every which way, weaving thru the boulders and it was easily 15 degrees cooler in the crevasses.
My sister Kittie on a trail
Check out the stone steps - amazing! 
This was one of the "smaller" fallen boulders
"I'm on the inside... looking outside..."
Super Cool (pun intended!)
Another trail up the mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment