Monday, September 26, 2022

Wangunk Meadows

Today I mountain biked at Wangunk Meadows in Portland, CT. The weather was a bit cool and the ride was super easy but quite pleasant.

Once past the fields you ride on an old dirt road. There were berms to bomb on and protruding pricklers to avoid so it wasn't boring!
After more than mile of riding you get a chance to get to the edge of the Connecticut River...
... and shortly thereafter you encounter the remnants of an old bridge that crossed Hales Brook.
It's a very beautiful spot but I was hoping to make it all he way to the Portland Fairgrounds. After yesterday's wade through 2 1/2 feet of water (my hiking boots were still wet this afternoon!) I was in no mood to soak my sneakers as well so I turned around!

About the Wangunks

The Wangunks were a Native American tribe that lived in this area at the time of colonial settlement. 
Wangunk > (Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment