Thursday, September 8, 2022

Yikes! Where are the trails?

Today's hike was a disaster! I don't whether to curse or bless AllTrails (the mapping system I use for hiking). I'll curse AllTrails because I thought these trails on their maps would exist (or at least be semi-decent!) but bless AllTrails because I wandered around in 3ft plus undergrowth and had to use GPS tracing and their maps to find my way back! It was crazy!

The hike started off OK and the first stretch was kinda nice...

But then I descended this seemingly abandoned gully section of the trail and encountered deadfall blockage. It should have been a warning to turn around and go home!
Yikes!
I was able to get around it but...
Looking back
..things got worse. The trails no longer existed  - just lots of wet 2-4ft plants every which way!
Finally when I got to a spot where the plants were over 4ft high I turned around and struggled to find my way back....
Where I gave up
Retracing where I had come wasn't always easy - but I finally made it out of there disappointed, soaking wet but at least intact!

Maybe I will come back in the late fall when the plants are gone but for now its a "no go"...

No comments:

Post a Comment